Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Homeschool Open House




There is a blog I read that is having a Homeschool Open House. I thought it was a neat idea and decided to join in.
We have four children; three of which are currently homeschooled. We have a daughter that will be starting 6th grade and twin sons that will be starting 4th grade. I guess you could call me an eclectic teacher. I like to use a wide range of curriculum. I like to use a lot of living books for history and science. After trying many math programs I like Math-U-See the best. This year I'm going to give Easy Grammar a try again. And I'm going to come up with my own spelling program using Natural Speller. For history and science I'll be using My Father's World. When I began to teach my children history I started with creation. This year we will begin to study the explorers and American history. I can't wait! I like My Father's World's use of living books and I like how they have it laid out for you. It also leaves room to add what you want. I like how they integrate Biblical events with world events. Of course Cassidy will continue to play the piano, Levi the trumpet and hopefully Ezra will begin to learn guitar.

I found this site that has a lot of free homeschool curricula, literature and text books. Including these great grammar worksheets.


I like to try to use a schedule but it doesn't always work that way. Managers of Their Home is a great resource for getting a schedule together.

This year will be a challenge having a toddler running around. It will be interesting to see how that goes.

Well, I guess that's about all I have to share.

10 comments:

Kristi said...

Thanks for the great suggestions of websites!! Thanks, too, for welcoming us into your open house!

Melissa Markham said...

Natural Speller is on our list of curriculum this year. I like the fact that you can use it for several ages.

My maiden name is Orndorff...looks like we share German heritage:)

Anonymous said...

How cool, another Ezra! My dh is an Ezra also! I like the name Levi also!

Be blessed!

mommaof4 said...

I always enjoy reading what others are using in their homeschool. Thanks for sharing.

Have a great year!
JoAnn
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/homeschoolingmommaof4/

Martha said...

Thanks for sharing. I love Manager's of Their Homes too!
Hope you have a wonderful year homeschooling! May God bless.

Disney for Boys said...

Thank you for participating in “Homeschool Open House 2007”! I have had such fun putting it together but reading about your homeschools has been such fun and the real blessing!!! Thanks for the peek into your homeschool!

Hugs & Blessings,
Tiany
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/tiany

Paula said...

Jill,
I just wanted to thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I always enjoy getting visits from like-minded ladies. ;)

Hopefully I'll have my Homeschool Open House post up in the next couple of days. I hope you'll come back to visit.

Blessings,
Mrs. C

Sombra said...

Thanks for the link to An Old Fashioned Education, I'm off to peruse it's free stuff

bubbebobbie said...

I have heard a lot of good things about MathUSee i may have to look into that one.

Thanks for sharing your home with us.
because of Jesus, Bobbie

Sonya said...

Thanks for sharing! I love hearing about what others do in their homeschool!